Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Civic Duty


Thinking about getting another car - a Chevy HHR. The car I have runs fine. It's a 2001 Kia Sportage with 141,000 miles. Here's the deal. That's pretty much several thousand miles beyond the life expectancy of the Kia. My wife and I tend to hang on to our cars several years so we get our money's worth. We've gotten our money's worth out of the Kia but it's going to be a little hard to see it go. We drove from Spokane to Minneapolis in that car. Used it to take our only child to college and logged a ton of trips between Spokane and Seattle before we moved from the former to the latter. But now - in an act of patriotism - I am thinking about turning the Kia over to the federal government to have it destroyed as a gas guzzler. Contrary to appearances it only averages 18 mpg. In return for my sacrifice, my country will knock $4,500 off the price of a new car. In talking to a local Chevy dealer (I mean, I should buy American, right?) they will take another $3,500 off the price of the car for a total reduction of $8,000! That's more than 30% off the price of a new car. I want to do the right thing to stir the economy and show my loyalty to my country, so I'm willing to say good-bye to my foreign-made import and drive off in a new American made car - for the right price! And this new car gets over 35 mpg, comes with a new 100k warranty and 12 mo of On-Star. Now, we just wait for the official announcement from Joe Biden on July 29. Just thinking that this is change even I can believe in!

No comments:

Post a Comment